Winter is approaching and with it comes mould. There are all sorts of practical things you can do maintain a healthy and happy home.
The key to preventing mould is to create a dry, well-ventilated environment where mould will not thrive. There are simple everyday things you can do to assist, as well as considering more significant measures.
Here’s our top 10 tips:
- As much as practical, open windows and doors during the day to let the fresh air into your house.
- Use an extractor fan in your bathroom and kitchen (above rangehood) to help keep moisture down. Use a showerdome or similiar.
- Open curtains and blinds during the day.
- Remove trees that are blocking sunlight from getting into your house.
- Keep temperatures inside your home to within 18–21ºC and humidity between 40%–70%.
- If possible, vent your clothes drier outside.
- Run a dehumidifier in individual rooms (ensure doors and windows are shut at this time).
- Check your insulation and consider improving/upgrading ceiling, floor and wall insulation.
- Install a home ventilation system (e.g. HRV / DVS).
- Double glaze your windows
For more information on how to prevent Mould in your home, please download ‘Fighting Mould’ below:
Let us help you
If you are concerned about mould in your home, Thomas Consultants offers both surface and airborne mould testing. Laboratory testing will confirm the type of mould and safe levels in your home or building. We can also talk to you about remediation options.
Feel free to email our friendly team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 027 237 and we’d be more than happy to help.Contact Us Now